Immanuel is one of 9,464 congregations of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
We are also part of the Northern Conference of the Central/Southern Illinois Synod.
A brief history of Immanuel: Immanuel Lutheran Church was founded in the spring of 1892 by Rev. Henry Meyer. The constitution was adopted on July 3, 1892. While a church was being built at the corner of Logan and Pekin Streets, the congregation worshipped at various places. The new building was dedicated on February 5, 1893. Rev. Meyer served Immanuel for 21 years. He was followed in service by Rev. George Schuster, Rev. Charles Lange, Rev. Emil Kemena, Rev. Paul Brockhaus, Rev. Ehme Osterbur, Rev. Don Beckman, Rev. Clarence Gall, Rev. Daniel Wissmann, Rev. Andrew Nyren, Rev. Turner and currently Interim Pastor Stephen Goodwin. Rev. Brockhaus served the longest with nearly 30 years of service. These pastors brought about many changes to the congregation. During the years a parochial school was built and later closed. Services began in German, but are now in English. Several parsonages were built and/or purchased. During the pastorate of Rev. Ehme Osterbur a new church was built on the outskirts of Lincoln. This is the present building, which was dedicated on June 25, 1961. A parsonage was built on the same acreage and dedicated on May 26, 1963. The present pipe organ was purchased and installed during the tenure of Rev. Beckman. It was dedicated October 14, 1984. Starting in September 1970, we began having interns who served Immanuel for one year each: Robert Salge, Carlyle Johnson, Larry Argenbright, and Douglas Kimball. As the church grew the internship program was discontinued and a fulltime assistant pastor was hired. Our first assistant pastor was Rev. Warren D. Freiheit. He was installed September 1, 1974. He later served as Bishop of the Central/Southern Illinois Synod from September, 2000 until 2011. Succeeding assistants were Rev. Gregory Brandvold, Rev. Russell Zeiner, Rev. Charles Luttinen and Rev. Mark Schahczenski. We have also had one Diaconal Minister: Sharon Gall, the first woman to hold a pastoral position at Immanuel.